Sunday, February 05, 2006

WINTER HAVEN DID IT RIGHT

I had the chance to visit Winter Haven yesterday for the first time in quite awhile. I lived there for over a decade until moving to Lakeland nearly five years ago, and while there always enjoyed the short walk to the public library for a book or two and some occasional research.

A couple of years ago, the City built a new library downtown on the former site of the county government centre. I must say, I was seriously impressed with how they did it.

It's a wonderful facility, a bit larger than the former site on Central Avenue, and it provides some amenties not seen previously. The Friends of the Library support group has it's own large room where it sells used books, a really nice community room was included into the plans, and even a coffee/refreshment shop is inside. It really is one of the nicest library facilities I've seen, and these words cannot do it justice. Too bad it's Web page doesn't give you a tour.

If you're in the area, and have some time, check it out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time were you there? I was at Richard's Coffee from around 3:30 till 5:00.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Robert C. said...

I was there a little earlier, around 12:30 - 1:00. My son goes to WH every Saturday to play in a Pokemon Trading Card League at Downtown Comics, so since I was off I made the trip, too.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home