Sunday, December 19, 2004

SOMETIMES, THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS CAN SIMPLY GO TOO FAR!

One of the wonderful things about our nation is it's great diversity. Many races, many religions are represented. And it is always important that while we may not always agree with what our neighbours may believe, we should always be willing to learn and respect other cultures, religions, and beliefs.

But sometimes, we do things in the name of political correctness that can only be described as overreacting.

Of course, for a government entity to allow a Nativity scene or other obvious religious display on public property would open the doors for other groups (for example: Wiccans) to demand the same recognition that may not be seen with the same favour. And once the genie is out of the bottle, watch out!

And I've heard that a number of school programs would not include traditional Christmas carols such as "Silent Night" because of the religious context. There is nothing wrong with maybe adding a Hannakuh song or two into the mix so that the program can be more inclusive, or other pieces that are reflective of other cultures. In one case I read recently, one school on the west coast of Florida would not even allow non-religious songs such as "Deck The Halls" or "Winter Wonderland", so they made the program one of patroitic music.

Now many companies --- including the one I work for --- have barred it's employees from wishing customers "Merry Christmas", or even using the religious neutral "Happy Holidays". If the customer closes with a holiday greeting, we are instructed to say "Thanks, and the same to you." And next year the talk is that there will be no holiday decorations allowed in our call centre due to complaints.

Friends, in some cases it simply borders on the ridiculous. We have to find some middle ground where we can try to enjoy the season, but at the same time be respectful and non-offensive to people who believe differently...and, where it is possible, be more inclusive. Let's all work on it, eh?

And if you want to read an excellent post on this general issue, check out this from Wands's blog Words On A Page. While we may not quite see eye-to-eye on every point, we agree on the vast majority of ideas expressed. I'll give you a taste of it here, because it is important that the conservative right wing theocrats realize this:

I can't disagree with the observation that Christmas is under attack. What I can and do disagree with is the perception that it's those damned, anti-patriotic,anti-Christmas, Liberals that are behind it.

There is a segment of our society out there that is determinded to remove every evidence of Christianity not just from Christmas, but our society in general. These people are not true liberals. By it's very definition, Liberal means generous, openhanded, and open-minded . Therefore it stands to reason no genuine liberal would desire to deny anyone their right to worship or celebrate their religion or their holidays. The liberals I know are not one bit interested in taking Christ out of Christimas.

BTW: Happy Holidays!

2 Comments:

Blogger wanda said...

As you know Robert, I pretty much agree with you on this issue. I will confess I felt a twinge of discomfort when you mentioned the Wiccan's. I guess even my generous spirit would have a bit of difficulty with viewing a Wiccan display, holiday or otherwise. Which is made even stranger by the idea that I thoroughly enjoy the show Charmed. Am I an odd duck or what.
I lived in Tampa while I attended college there (UCF). For awhile I lived over on 124th St. then I moved with a friend out to Thononasassa (heck if I know if I spelled that right). I sure had some gooooood times at a place called My Back Yard.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of it all. We have death and hate all over the globe because of religion. Xmas is a consumer holiday meant to fill the pockets of business. Just say Merry Spending and forget it.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home