THESE FOLKS HAVE TO LEARN TO DO MICROWAVE POPCORN RIGHT!
Many of you have put a bag of microwave popcorn into the oven and walked away expecting to enjoy some delicious snacking, only to return to find the rank smell of burnt popcorn because you simply left it in too long. It seems to be a regular case in Seattle, where city employees are being warned to stay by the microwave and "listen to the pop, to know when to stop" or face a ban on microwave popcorn in government buildings.
It seem as though in less than three years, the city's Justice Center (read: courthouse) has been evacuated eight times because burnt microwave popcorn has triggered the smoke detectors. That is in addition to multiple evacuations of City Hall and the Seattle Municipal Tower. According to the memo sent to all City employees Saturday:
"This is a serious issue which requires Fire Department emergency response, building evacuation, and resetting of building systems. Each evacuation causes disruption to City services for at least 30-40 minutes and has considerable actual costs to the City. It also poses safety and security issues, especially at the Justice Center which includes jail facilities and active courtrooms."
So everyone just remember, wheather it be in Seattle, Lakeland, or Miami..."Stay by the microwave and listen to the pop, to know when to stop." Noone likes smelling rank, burnt popcorn.