Wednesday, September 14, 2005

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT LAST WEEK...

The Kennedy & Garcia political column in the Orlando Sentinel last Thursday noted that former congressman and two time U.S. Senate candidate Bill McCollum is considering running for the Attorney General office being vacated by Charlie Crist, who is seeking the governor's office.

"I do think I have the luxury of time," McCollum said last week. "When some people began asking me and e-mailing me to see if I'd be interested in running, I said I'd think about it after Labor Day, which I am. With the pre-existing name recognition I have, I think I'd have an advantage."

While he may have a definate name advantage, he would have to play catch-up when it comes to fundraising. The current front runner, State Representative Joe Negron (R - Stuart), already has a war chest of $602,000 through the June 30 reporting period. Two other Republicans are in the race, former Pinellas County Sheriff Everett Rice and State Senator Burt Sanders (R - Naples). The winner would likely face State Senator Skip Campbell (D - Fort Lauderdale), the only Democrat to file to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home