Thursday, October 05, 2006

DARYL JONES PROVIDES HIS TYPE OF REVIVAL

Democratic lieutenant governor candidate Daryl Jones was in Lakeland last evening to address about 90 congregants and political activists at an African-American church, and provided his own brand of revival.

Jim Davis' running mate didn't pull any punches in hitting on GOP gubenatorial candidate Charlie Crist's pledge to "stay the course" regarding the policies of incumbant Jeb Bush, and told Lakeland Ledger political writer Bill Rufty that Bush's One Florida initiative --- which ended affirmative action in many areas --- has hurt many trying to work their way up.

"I am a product of affirmative action," he told the congregation. "Affirmative action got me to the Air Force Academy. I graduated with honors on my own.

"Affirmative action got me to law school. I graduated cum laude on my own," he said.

I highlighted those portions of Mr. Jones' quotes to show that affirmative action is not a "gimme", as many Republicans seem to believe. It provides a helping hand, but what one does with that opportunity is up to each individual. You fly or fall on your own, and Jones has certainly succeeded in a number of areas.

As I have mentioned here before, Daryl Jones will be an excellent lieutenant governor, and hopefully will eventually serve the people of Florida well in the top spot. Jim Davis made an fine choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home