Sunday, February 27, 2005

ANOTHER MAGNOLIA STATE PINE BELT NATIVE DOES GOOD

I am a native of what is generally known as Southeast Mississippi's "Pine Belt" region, which is centered in the Hattiesburg/Laurel area. While I have made my home in Polk County now for 15 years, and have grown to love the area, I've never lost track of where I am from. Besides my beloved University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles, it's always good to notice when a fellow Pine Belter has or is doing well.

Among those from the Pine Belt who have done well are actor Gerald McRainey (Collins), opera superstar Leontyne Price, former NSYNC singer Lance Bass, and actor Tom Lester of "Green Acres" fame (all from Laurel).

While St. Petersburg Times Capitol Bureau Chief Lucy Morgan doesn't quite rate at the level of those celebrities, the Hattiesburg native has done very well over the four decades she has worked in the field of journalism, beginning as a writer with the Ocala Star-Banner. Ms. Morgan has won the Pulitizer Prize once, been a runner up for the award once more, and has earned the respect of collegues and many readers. Tallahassee Democrat Editorial Page Editor Mary Ann Lindley does a great rememberance of Ms. Morgan in today's edition, as she will be retiring from the Times in November.

An interesting piece from Ms. Lindley's piece:

"I see where the pieces lead me and I try to resist the urge to make a judgment or decide about the morality of a situation."

There are some exceptions to her rule: "Johnnie Byrd may have been the worst speaker I have ever seen dating back to the '60s," she said with trademark bluntness. "His worst sin was that he didn't care about the institution he served in."

The kind of public official she admires doesn't have to exude perfection. "I've learned not to expect that. I like a public official who is intelligent, who appears to be honest and who appears to not have anyone leading him around by the nose," she said. "I do think politicians who develop a tough skin are much better for it. They don't sweat the small stuff."


Hmmmmm...."I like a public official who is intelligent...and who appears to not have anyone leading him around by the nose," Then she wouldn't like our 12th District congressional representative, Adam Putman.

Seriously, congrats on a wonderful career, Lucy...and keep up the good work, 'cause it ain't over YET!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home