Sunday, September 12, 2004

It was three years ago yesterday.

I was working night shift at another call centre and living in Winter Haven. Just waking up for whatever reason, I turned on my bedroom TV and the first thing that came on was these shocking pictures from New York, something about an airliner crashing into the World Trade Center. At the time, I thought it was simply an incredible, tragic accident.

And then, a plane crashed into the second tower, and I and all American realized that this was more than just a coincidence. Something was terribly, terribly wrong.

And that wasn't all. It wasn't long before we heard reports of still another airliner hitting the Pentagon, and a fourth crash in some rural Pennsylvania field.

I watched the reports the rest of the day: CNN, MSNBC, all the broadcast networks, as they tried to make some sense into what had happened. And then I had to go back to work again that evening, and take calls from angry customers as if nothing happened.

But I, and all America realized, that our nation --- and our world --- had changed forever.

And the thing that still amazes me today is that the criminal who masterminded this and other terrorist attacks, Osama bin Laden, is still at large, protected by a Taliban militia and a Pakistiani government that will not allow out military that is just across the border to chase him down like the dirty dog he is. In the meantime we are fighting a war in Iraq that we should not have entered based on questionable intelligence and our unwillingness to work with our allies toward another solution that may have kept now over 1,000 American soldiers alive.

We are truly fighting a war on terror, but are we fighting the real enemy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home