Friday, September 10, 2004

Do you ever think about your very first love? That one special person who turned your head around back in high school and got the blood flowin' real good?

I still do, 29 years after the fact.

Pasadena, Texas, 1975. Her name was Martha. She would not even have attended Pasadena High School, except for the fact that her father was a teacher there. For was a bit of a loner like myself, it was surprising that someone like Martha, who was active in drama and speech activities would have given me a second glance. But she did. And that year-plus became, without doubt, the most special year of my lifetime.

Since then I have married, had two beautiful children and a precious granddaughter who I love dearly, divorced, gone through numerous life changes, but occasionally those wonderful memories still come to the forefront. Every time I hear Barry Manilow's melody "Could It Be Magic" I still almost come to tears.

Our relationship ended after I moved back to Mississippi. There were promises that we would keep in touch regularly, and I had planned to return to Texas for college, but that never happened due to financial constrants. I know she is happily married with children and living in Austin, Texas now. But that is one woman who will always have a special place in my heart for how happy she made me so many years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home