Thursday, June 17, 2004

It's hurricane season again here in the Gulf South. Some people are always wondering about not if, but when, the next Catagory 4 or 5 storm will sweep across Florida or line a bead on Tampa Bay.

I remember my first Catagory 5 hurricane, Camille, in 1969. I was only 11 years old at the time, living with my family in south Jones County, Mississippi...about 100 miles inland from it's landfall on the Harrison County coast. It was just as scary inland. And I also remember about six, seven months later my grandmother took me and one of my cousins to the Gulfport-Biloxi area to drive along the beachfront U.S. 90. I'll never forget the HUGE cargo ship that had been swept over the beach, four lanes of traffic, and was at the time sitting in the front yard of one of the Antebellum homes along the highway near Beuvoiur, the last home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

And I'll never forget being on-air at a radio station in Mississippi during a hurricane...it almost blew the roof off our building. While I was reading the latest storm statements/closures, my collegue burst in the studio yelling that the roof had come off in the business office.

Always respect the might of Nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home