Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A TAMPA BAY RADIO GIANT IS GONE

Many of us didn't know until early today that former Tampa Bay radio talk show host Bob Lassiter had passed away last Friday following a battle with complications related to diabetes.

Lassiter didn't mind revealing himself to his audience, or on occasion wearing his heart on his sleeve with impassioned diatribes. He also didn't mind challenging callers and calling out station management during his career, which ended in 1999 when WFLA-AM decided not to renew his contract although ratings for his show were good.

He started www.bloglassiter.com, on which he documented his health battles and was brutally honest about his fears and fustrations. And Lassiter ended posting just the way he lived: calling out former collegues in his final post, dated October 3:

"So yesterday I discovered that my good, close, personal friends at WFLA are hard at work preparing my obituary. It’s reported that my “many friends” at the station are worried about me. Of course, in the past seven years I’ve only seen one of my “many friends”, and spoken briefly with another on the phone.


"Overall, I’m amused that the bastards who threw me out in the gutter, now want to “honor” me with a fancy obit. I’m sure that it will be a warm and fuzzy thing, praising me to the hilt – why must the world be so phony?"

Per his request, Bob Lassiter will be cremeated. There will be no visitation or memorial service. Those who do wish to remember him are being asked to send a contribution in his name to:

Robert Lassiter Fund
c/o Collingswood Recreation Department
Attn: Holly Mannel
678 Haddon Avenue
Collingswood New Jersey 08108

The song that has to reflect Bob Lassiter's experience over the last year, and in many ways the life he lived, is "Until it Sleeps", written by Metallica frontman James Hetfield. It refers to cancer, which took the lives of both his parents, who were devout in their Christian Scientist faith and as such rejected traditional medical treatment.
Where do I take this pain of mine
I run but it stays right by my side
So tear me open, pour me out
There's things inside that scream and shout
And the pain still hates me
So hold me, Until it Sleeps

Just like the curse, just like the stray
You feed it once and now it stays (now it stays)
So tear me open but beware
There's things inside without a care
And the dirt still stains me
So wash me, until i'm clean

It grips you, so hold me
It stains you, so hold me
It hates you, so hold me
It holds you, so hold me
Until it sleeps

So tell me why you've chosen me
Don't want your grip don't want your greed (Don't want it)
I'll tear me open, make you gone
No more can you hurt anyone
And the fear still shakes me
So hold me, Until it sleeps

It grips you, so hold me
It stains you, so hold me
It hates you, so hold me
It holds you, holds you, holds you
Until it sleeps

I don't want it, want it, want it, No!
So tear me open but beware
There's things inside without a care
And the dirt still stains me
So wash me - 'till I'm clean

I'll tear me open make you gone
No longer will you hurt anyone
And the hate still shapes me
So hold me, Until it Sleeps

From one former radio professional to another: Rest in Peace, my brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home