Friday, June 23, 2006

KEEPIN' AN EYE ON THE KINKSTER

Last November, I posted a bit here about author/humourist/performer Kinky Friedman, who is running an independent campaign for governor of Texas. He actually has a strong following, as one poll then shows him running a close third behind the two major party candidates, including incumbant Republican Rick Perry.

Shortly afterward, in January, Friedman's campaign was featured in a 60 Minutes segment reported by Morley Safer and was repeated recently.

One of my favourite quotes from the piece came when he was asked about occasionally speaking irreverantly about Jesus in a heavily religious state:

"Well, I just said that Jesus and I were both Jewish and that neither of us ever had a job, we never had a home, we never married and we traveled around the countryside irritating people...Now, if that's comparing myself to Jesus, I don't really think it is. But, the Jesus in my heart is a Jesus with a sense of humor. And, personally, I think he's enjoyin' my campaign as much as anybody right now. I think he is."

And how about putting the Ten Commandments back in school:

"I want them back, they belong there...Maybe I'll have to change their name to the Ten Suggestions, you know. But they were taken out, not by separation of church and state, but by political correctness gone awry. One atheist stands up and says, 'I don't like the Ten Commandments,' and suddenly out they go. And, of course, we all know what happens to an atheist when he dies. His tombstone usually reads, 'All dressed up and no place to go.' "

And my personal quote of the day:

“May the God of your choice bless you...Criticize me all you want, but don’t circumcise me anymore!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home