Saturday, March 25, 2006

HARRIS CAMPAIGN NOW SAYS SHE ISN'T USING HER INHERITANCE: A CHANGE OF MESSAGE OR DIRECTION?

For the past couple of weeks, Congresswoman Katherine Harris (R - Longboat Key) has tried to jump start her floundering campaign for the U.S. Senate by saying that she would "...commit my legacy from my father -- $10 million." Many, including myself, interpted that to mean that she would use the amount left by her late father.

Now, campaign officials are singing a slightly different tune.

In an e-mail to the Orlando Sentinel, spokeswoman Morgan Dobbs stated that Ms. Harris would liquidate her personal assets rather than use her inheritance from Bartow banker George Harris, who passed away in January.

If you remember, she told FOX News' Sean Hannity:

"I'm going to take his legacy that he gave to me, everything I have, and I'm going to put it in this race...I'm going to commit my legacy from my father -- $10 million."

Just to be sure, Hannity --- a good friend and supporter of the former Florida Secretary of State --- asked, "This is money from your father?". To which she replied "Yes".

Ms. Dobbs wrote in her e-mail to the newspaper:

"It is my understanding from her statements that she does not plan to use inherited money on the campaign -- rather, money from liquidating her personal assets, which she says total $10 million."

When a message was sent in reply asking about the discrepancy between her televised statement and the campaign's message, Dobbs only replied that no additional information would be available on the subject.

Another day, another screw-up in the Harris campaign. As University of South Florida political science professor Dr. Susan MacManus put it:

"To say something different now just confuses matters. And the last thing her campaign needs right now is to confuse people."

That's alright, doc. Just further evidence that Katherine Harris does not have what it takes to remain in the House of Representatives, much less the United States Senate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home