Saturday, January 14, 2006

HARRIS SUFFERS MUCH MORE PERSONAL SETBACK

Congresswoman and U.S. Senate candidate Katherine Harris (R - Sarasota) and her family are in mouring this weekend after the loss of her father, banker George W. Harris, Jr., who died playing tennis Friday at the Lakeland city tennis complex. He was 71.

Mr. Harris was the chairman and president of the Bartow-area Citrus and Chemical Bank, which was founded by his father-in-law, citrus and cattle magnate Ben Hill Griffin. Harris became the bank's CEO in 1963, when he was only 29 years of age. The bank, true to his word, has remained locally owned...the only one remaining in Polk County.

His daughter had been in South Florida campaigning and was planning to attend the Southeastern University scholarship fundraiser in Lakeland last night when she learned the news. Ms. Harris' campaign staff noted that she was too upset to comment, but her spokesperson released the following statement:

"It is with great sadness that I confirm the passing of Congresswoman Harris' father, George Harris. Mr. Harris was dearly loved by his family and cherished by his community. He will surely be missed by us all. Congresswoman Harris appreciates the many thoughts and prayers of everyone as she and her family move through this difficult time."

Congressman Adam Putnam (R - Bartow) remembered him this way:

"He had known me my whole life," said Putnam, 31. "I grew up around the corner. Fran (the Harris' youngest daughter) was my sister's age and I used to tag along with my sister when they went out to do Girl Scout stuff. Let me tell you, his passing leaves a gaping hole in our community."

And Polk County auto dealer Mike Steadem, who challenged Putnam for his congressional seat two years ago and was a founder of Polk County's Tiger Bay Club chapter, reacted:

"The man always had a smile and was so gracious and accommodating...He was at almost every meeting and thanked me for helping start it, but what I remember most is his dedication to every charity around," Stedem said.

"At a Cancer Walk at Bartow High last year, no one would take the 2-3 a.m. walk. You had to keep it going for 24 hours to raise the money we needed, so I started out walking and lo and behold, right there with me at that time of the morning was George, walking the hour. I just can't think of anything negative that anyone has ever said about him," Stedem said.

Mr. Harris is also survived by his wife, another daughter, a son, and five grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home