Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI ANNOUNCED TOP 100 QUOTES IN AMERICAN MOVIE HISTORY

The American Film Institute announced the result of it's recent survey to determine the top 100 quotes in the history of American movies. The poll was conducted of over 1500 leaders from throughout the industry, including critics and historians, and included 400 nominated movie quotes (but jurors could write in up to five quotes not included in the list).

Lyrics from songs were not eliglble, and jurors were asked to consider the quote, it's cultural impact, and historical legacy.

The Top 10:

10) "You talking to me?" - Robert DeNiro, Taxi Driver (1976)

09) "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." - Bette Davis, All About Eve (1950)

08) "May the Force be with you." - Harrison Ford, Star Wars (1977)

07) "All right, Mr. DeMille. I'm ready for my close up." - Gloria Swanson, Sunset Boulevard (1950)

06) "Go Ahead. Make my day." - Clint Eastwood, Sudden Impact (1983)

05) "Here's looking at you, kid." - Humphery Bogart, Casablanca (1942)

04) "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." - Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz (1939)

03) "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." - Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront (1954)

02) "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" - Al Pacino, The Godfather (1972)

...and the number one quote in American movie history....

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." - Clark Gable, Gone With the Wind (1939)

For those who are interested, here is the .pdf version of the ballot...it's 103 pages, but includes not only the picture from which it comes and the actor, but screenwriters, director and producer information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home