Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Before heading out the door this early morning, I'm going to focus on one race from yesterday and echo some comments I made in the post last night. I note it sadly, because I am a lifelong Democrat that has worked for candidates in my party since I was a kid in three states:

I am afraid that the Democrats of the 12th Congressional District have, through their decision yesterday, handed Republican incumbant Adam Putnam another two year term on a silver platter.

We had a CLEAR CHOICE yesterday. Jeff Siemer, a young progressive from the Howard Dean school who holds true to the moderate to liberal Democratic values on social issues while embracing common sense pay-as-you-go Clintonesque fiscal practices.

Bob Hagenmaier, a retiree from USDA who didn't bother informing even the local party leadership of his intent to run before announcing, who is against a woman's right to choose...against embroynic stem cell research using cells which would be DESTROYED ANYWAY from fertilization clinics...against even the idea of equal legal rights for gays (read: civil unions, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH gay marriage).

As a matter of fact, many of Hagermaier's social positions mirror Putnam's to a tee.

The 12th District voters, which include much of Polk, eastern Hillsborough, and five precincts in Osceola, chose the more conservative candidate.

Part of it may have been that Jeff is openly gay and has been in a domestic relationship for several years. He didn't keep it under wraps, but he didn't make it a part of his campaign, either. If you asked Jeff, he would be the honest person he is and admit it. Unfortunately, Lakeland Ledger political reporter Bill Rufty seemed to relish the thought of putting that fact into every story that mentioned Siemer, as if part of an effort to torpedo his campaign.

I'll say this: It will take a great deal of convincing for me to avoid leaving the 12th Congressional District race spot BLANK November 2. I will NEVER vote for Adam Putnam, but I would never vote for an Adam Putnam clone, either. Someone needs to show me clearly where Hagenmaier and Putnam differ significantly before I can in good concinsece fill in the oval in that race.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true it is, Robert. I was very disappointed to see that Hagenmaier won. Weldon is the rep in my district, and unfortunately I'm sure he will win again--I need to find out more about his opponent. Since we are in the tiny sliver of Polk that votes for him we don't get to much info about either one. How ridiculous are these districts, anyway!?
But you are right, there is no choice in this race if you are a somewhat liberal Democrat. This guy is a Putnam clone.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home